Saturday, April 27, 2013

kombucha

On Wednesday I was given a kombucha culture. It looks like a slug and is suspended in a jar of liquid.
On Thursday Denis and I bought a large glazed bowl that would hold 2 litres. I was also lent a book to explain the kombucha.
All I had to do was to make tea and add sugar, pour into the bowl and then add the culture and keep in a warm place for one week with muslin tied with elastic over the top.

I am intrigued. Kombucha is called a miracle fungus. It produces a refreshing tea drink that you have a glass of with meals. It is said to cleanse the blood, improve the functioning of liver, gall bladder and digestive organs, act as a deterrent to some forms of cancer, reduce suffering of chronic fatigue syndrome, enhance the immune system and acts as a general tonic and energy booster. It is a not a cure-all, but is supposed to be a life enhancer.

I will let you know the next installment when I bottle it and take my first drink. It is recommended to drink my first glass.

The culture reproduces itself weekly so there is always one to give to a friend.
Where have I been that I haven't heard about Kombucha? It has been around for thousands of years in in South East Asia and Europe.

Let's see what happens in a week's time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment