Monday, May 6, 2013

Kombucha tea continued

I did have a few peeks during the week. It sat in my hot water cupboard all cosy and nicely covered with muslin and tied with elastic. The culture spread right across the top. On Wednesday a lady at my Jin Shin Jyutsu study group showed me how to split the culture and make the kombucha tea - so helpful. She puts a little piece of raw ginger in it to make it taste more like ginger beer. She also stressed not to handle the culture with hands as it doesn't like oil or fat in any form.

It is real easy to separate - use tongs to get the culture off the top. There will be a new culture growing underneath. Separate (it just slides off) and place old one in glass jar with some of the liquid. This can keep in fridge for friends to start their kombucha tea.
Strain the liquid and bottle. Keep in fridge. For the new lot, make 2 litres of tea and add 3/4 cup of sugar and wait until cold. Then add culture.

It tastes nice - between cidar vinegar and ginger beer. It is recommended to drink just a few tablespoons a day for the first week as it can detoxify your body too fast if you drink too much at first. Next week I will be drinking a small glass 3 times a day.

I do notice no one is queueing up for the culture. Although Hollie, my daughter likes drinking it. Denis, my husband just rolls his eyes!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment